Tuesday, May 21, 2013

Roasted Apple Rabbit Recipe

Hey everyone! It's been awhile since I've blogged which is a good thing I suppose since that means I've been staying busy ;) Recently my fiance James and I have been trying to try out some rabbit recipes to see if we like the flavor. At first I did a basic google search and found a rabbit stew recipe but it had red wine in it and since I'm not a fan of red wine at all I wasn't a fan of the recipe. James liked it I think but mostly for the meat. So we tried to find other recipes and we just couldn't find anything that really sounded like it'd taste great. One afternoon a few months ago we were visiting with his grandparents and they said that all they do is cook it like they would cook chicken (basically a straight swap of the meat), and after thinking about it I realized that I wanted to try it with this fantastic Roasted Apple Grille Sauce by Stonewall Kitchen that we get for pork chops at our local New Seasons Market. The sauce has roasted apples, maple syrup, brown sugar, onions, garlic, apple cider vinegar, etc so it creates this flavorful sauce that works well with any meat really :) You can buy some online here if you don't have a New Seasons Market near you. Anyways, here is the recipe that I made up and loved:

1 rabbit (we purchase ours from local butchers) deboned and rinsed
2/3ish jar of the Roasted Apple Grille Sauce (i just sort of dumped it in until there was as much as I wanted)
Wildtree's California Style Garlic Pepper (to taste... I sprinkled it on all over)

As a side we had steamed broccoli and cauliflower and sauteed onions that were also seasoned with the Garlic Pepper.

Steps: 

 Ingredients all lined up (note: after this picture was taken that garlic clove disappeared and I can't find it anywhere in the kitchen! haha
 Better view of the oil and seasonings (I use Grapeseed oil because it's a light oil that's really good for you like Olive Oil is but it has 1/2 of the saturated fat as Olive Oil!)
 My delicious onions sauteing in a small pan.

I simply sliced them all up, threw them in a lightly oiled heated pan that was on medium heat, tossed in the minced garlic clove, sprinkled with Garlic Pepper and then cooked them on medium and low heat until they were the consistency that I wanted.

 My fantastic fiance deboned the rabbit for me so all I had to do was make sure it was rinsed well and then toss it into a heated oiled pan over medium/medium-high heat. I then sprinkled it with Garlic Pepper, stirred it around and added a little more to taste.

 When the meat looks white all the way through (and not pink anymore) I dumped in the sauce and simmered it until it hit 160 degrees F (well, since I had a blonde moment and used the thermometer wrong (Seiously, how hard is it to use a stupid thermometer?! haha) it was almost 200 degrees, but whatever ;) Like I told James: The meat may be a little tough, but we won't die from it being undercooked!! :) :)

YUMMY!!!! 
We used paper plates for easy clean up ;)

And there you have it folks! My super simple and somewhat quick recipe for Roasted Apple Rabbit. 

-B

No comments:

Post a Comment